Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Date night with "E" is for Eat!

The Swirl
Tonight's post is the first of many weekly posts "paired" with Jaymee of "E" is for Eat.

This week is "Date Night". Jaymee made prosciutto wrapped garlic roasted almond stuffed dates! Oh, and I almost forgot to mention as if the 'wrapped in prosciutto' wasn't enough, she then brushed with maple butter before she baked them. Yum!

It just so happens that dates are often paired with a Syrah or a Petite Sirah. Here is a GREAT article on the difference of those two! Wine guy and I also happened to visit Napa this weekend and found an amazing Petite Sirah from The Hess Collection, vineyard, museum and winery.

Without further ado, I introduce the...

2008 Hess Allomi Petite Sirah

Here are the technical notes:

BLEND: 100% Petite Sirah
APPELLATION: Napa Valley
COOPERAGE: 18 months barrel aging in 100% old French oak

Enough of the technical jargon!

I found this wine to be amazingly clean and dry. I had a hard time putting my finger on exactly what it tasted like and then the light bulb went off! This wine tasted like a cinnamon graham cracker. Some folks say that Petite Sirahs from California can tend to be peppery, I didn't really taste it but I thought it would really go well with salsa  or anything with cilantro in it. Which makes me wonder, would a cinnamon graham cracker taste good with salsa? Back to date night....

When I started thinking of other things to pair it with I kept wanting something that had a savory but sweet taste. What is more savory and sweet than a prosciutto wrapped date. A date has a ton of natural sugar (you can feel it when you bite into one!) and we all know how I feel about wine and salty foods, in this case the baked prosciutto. The Allomi Petite Sirah would bring out all of the rich, decadence that the date has but not be so overwhelming that you couldn't eat 4 (or 5-- or 6) dates for starters and sit down with the bottle of wine.

It does have a slightly higher retail price $36.00, but can probably be found at beverage warehouses at a smaller price point. It is available at grocery stores.

Overall, this wine was great! It would definitely be appealing to the masses, so throw a party, serve some dates and enjoy all the compliments!

Cheers!
xok

No comments:

Post a Comment